Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Q & A with Author Vicki Lesage

I had a lovely interview with the author of Christmas Confessions & Cocktails Tour, Vicki Lesage. American-turned-Parisian Vicki tells it like it is, from her crazy Christmases growing up in the Midwest to her even crazier holidays in her new home in France. Bizarre gifts, stomach-turning food, and holiday travel disasters are just some of the tales you'll chuckle at in this installment of the Paris Confessions series. This Christmas-themed memoir features 25 funny and heartwarming essays, all with a tenuous tie to Christmas, and pairs each with a delicious drink recipe. So grab your martini shaker and get ready for tasty cocktails and hearty laughs this holiday season!

Win a copy of one of Vicki's books here!



Why did you decide to write your book in a series of essays?

The uniting theme of my stories is Christmas, but it's not one big long story. It's bits and pieces from different Christmases throughout my life, so it seemed to make the most sense to do them as separate essays. Like David Sedaris' books, but with a Christmas theme (and hopefully as funny!).

What caused you to move to France?

After losing my job and breaking up with my boyfriend in rapid succession, I figured I didn't have much tying me to my hometown of St. Louis, so I decided to head to Paris for the summer. Ten years later, I'm still here!

What was the biggest change about moving to France?

Trying to be funny in French! I spoke a little French when I first moved here, and my command of the language has defininitely improved over the years. But it's still hard to express yourself just right in a different language. So my jokes often fall flat and people often have WTF looks plastered to their faces.

What inspired you to write a book about your experiences?

After one too many drinks at the bar, I either sing some embarrassing karaoke or tell some embarrassing stories. People don't usually encourage me to sing more songs, but they do encourage me to tell more stories. One such person suggested I write a book with all my stories. So I did.

Are memoirs also your favorite types of books to read?

Memoirs and chick lit. I love memoirs because you're like "Wow, that REALLY happened?" I love chick lit for the exact opposite reason--none of it is real and I can escape life for just a brief moment and enjoy a fun make-believe world.

What are your ambitions for your writing career? What would your career look like in an ideal world?

I have more ideas for the Paris Confessions series (there are plenty of embarrassing stories I haven't told yet, like the time I met Tony Danza!) but I'd also like to start writing chick lit. I have a few ideas in the works...

Who inspires you?

My mom. Tina Fey. Amy Poehler. All hard-working, amazing women with a good sense of humor. That's who I aspire to be.

What are you working on right now?

I am working on not eating the candy in my desk drawer even though I'm so hungry. But it's almost lunchtime so I really should wait. Oh you meant writing? I'm working on the outline for my first chick lit book and am also editing a few books for my indie publishing house, Velvet Morning Press.

What is your favorite quote?

"Paris is always a good idea." - Audrey Hepburn

Because it IS always a good idea!

How can readers discover more about you and you work?

You can visit my website at VickiLesage.com, where I share the latest stories about my life in Paris as well as the latest news about my books (sales, new releases, etc.). You can also find me on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/vickilesagewriter) and Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/vickilesage) where I share what I hope are humorous snippets of my life.

Is there anything that I didn’t ask that you would like to include?

You didn't ask what I miss most about living in the US! It's cupcakes. So please feel free to send me as many as you like :)